Hey Mum, this is where I have been so far. Up the Sunshine Coast, across to Vancouver Island, Denman Island, over to the west coast, back east, Salt Spring Island and then to Victoria.
Number of ferries: 6 plus three to get between the islands and over to Seattle. L-O-V-E ferries!!
Best Campsite: Ruckle Provincial Park, Salt Spring Island
Cycling wisdom: very important to make brrruuummm car noises when zooming downhill and not to look like you are dying when cycling uphill.
Number of rocks collected: 0 (very good, keep up the excellent work resisting the pretty shiny granite!!)
Roadkill: Poor. VERY poor in fact! Giant slugs, geckos, worms, caterpillars........not very interesting to look at. But seriously the slugs are enormous!! When one has been run over its guts are spread across the shoulder of the road.
Distance: Not far and a very, very, very small fraction of what I still have to do.
- Qualicum Beach on the east to Ucluelet on the west of Vancouver Island. Narrow and windy but very scenic even in the rain. Cars and trucks also nice and not trying to run me over - thank you!!
- West Coast of Vancouver Island. Wet, wild, windy - just like NZ!! But still very cool.
- Salt Spring Island
- Cycling in Victoria. Lovely trails, lots of cyclists, good signs and pretty things to look at.
The Great Kiwi Survey
- Number of people who thought I am Australian = 5
- People who mentioned LOTR = 2
- People who mentioned Flight of the Concords = 1
- Number of other New Zealanders = 1